Wednesday 11 November 2015

Remembrance Day


Today is Remembrance Day in Canada and in this corner of the world Remembrance Day is a big deal. In a lot of ways it is the only 'holiday' that has remained true to it's roots. People wear poppies, attend Remembrance Day services and observe a moment of silence in honour of all of those who have fought for our freedom. There's no 'Poppy Presents' or major sales the day is truly a day full of appreciation and thankfulness. 

Monday night at our meeting my little group of Sparks learned about some of the animals that have helped along side humans in the armed forces. The info packets are put out by Veterans Affairs  and they were perfect for my girls. They learned about a part of Remembrance Day in a way that was completely age appropriate, educational and fun. This morning we attended a service at the local legion and I was so proud of how respectful they were as they sat in their seats and watched the veterans and community groups lay wreaths. I love getting my Sparks involved in things like this because odds are if they grow up being involved, they will stay involved. 

On that note I am going to light my flannel scented candle and cross some things off my to do list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment